distinguished young women's is an incredible program.

i've always said it and i always will.

last october-january i was i was a part of this program. honestly, it changed my life. it changed the way i view myself and my situation. it changed my confidence in interviews and meeting new people.

anyways, it's this scholarship program that is formally known as "America's Junior Miss". however, they wanted to steer away from the pageant scene so they rebranded completely. there are four sections that the girls are judged on: academics/activities, talent, on stage expression, and fitness.

no swim suit.

no pageant dress.

just a group of people giving out money to girls that they think deserve it.

so the program is based around some "Be Your Best Self" principles.

they are:

be studious
be healthy
be involved
be ambitious
be responsible

so i went to region (which was actually titled "all-state" because TooCo is way too small to have its own program. there were girls in my group from cedar and logan, etc.) made it through regions, and went on to be in state! it was one of the best weeks of my life. i met so many incredible people, including barbara barrington jones!




i stayed with a host family for the week of state in their beautiful home! these were my roommates.

(left to right)
daun kwag is now at emory university in georgia. rosie jarmin just started at byu. me! and lindsay brown is headed off to madrid, spain for her lds mission in a few months!

during the week, we did a service project with make a wish foundation. we had a princess/prince party for terminally ill little boys and girls and their families. we all wore our old prom dresses and just had a blast.

this little girl and i were best friends. she legitimately thought i was cinderella. also, by the age of two, she had already beat cancer one and a half times. what an inspiration.


during the week we learned an opening pirate themed dance that we performed for the program on friday and saturday night.


this was my fun interview outfit

i lost that blazer. if you see it anywhere, please let me know.


i performed the made famous by beyonce song, "listen" for my talent.


i just love these beautiful girls.

and i wouldn't have been able to do this without the wonderful people supporting me!


i just had the most incredible experience. and i won the "be ambitious" scholarship for $300! so that was really great.

for all-state region this year, i went to help our last year's state winner emcee the program and it was so great being around all that nervous energy and helping the girls with their nerves.

anyways, the reason for this blog post, is because of an email i got today. my mentor from when i was in the program informed me that i had been chosen for the $500 "has-been" award which is awarded to past participants that have stayed connected to the program. I was so grateful and i maybe even cried a little bit! how often does money just fall into your lap?!

anyways, they also asked me to come do my talent at the end of february for the program. i am so excited, so grateful, and so blessed. i have been a little bit stressed out about money for the first time since i graduated. but luckily heavenly father has noticed my effort in trying to make the best possible life for myself. i love him and i love that he looks out for me.

so mostly, i am just so excited and so happy.
let me know if you want to come see me sing and i will give you the time and date!(:

distinguished young women's

Posted on

Wednesday, January 30

Leave a Reply